Follow Me


21 March 2015

Cleaning My Makeup Brushes

Hi Everyone!

As it's Saturday and my day off work I thought I'd get some cleaning done, don't worry I'm not going to bore you with my cleaning chores but what I am going to talk about is cleaning makeup brushes.

I'm not going to lie, I find it a bit of a chore and hate doing it but it's got to be done. I try to clean mine every weekend if possible. Cleaning your brushes regularly will eliminate bits of makeup, oil, dirt, and nasty bacteria that gets trapped in the bristles. This causes clogged pores and bad breakouts which nobody wants! Cleaning also prolongs the life and quality of your brushes so if you've invested in expensive high end brushes, you'll want them to last you!

I've broke this down into 5 easy steps, so here we go..

What you need:
  • An old towel - I have a towel that I use to colour my hair so I don't mind it getting covered!
  • Baby shampoo or Baby bath products. - I would normally use baby shampoo but I'm all out so have used baby bath instead. There are specially formulated brush shampoos out there but I think baby shampoo works just fine and definitely more budget-friendly!


  • Sink with running water
  • Wash dish


What to do:

1. Begin by running your brushes under lukewarm water, rinsing out all of the residual makeup from your brushes. 
Top trick: Never let the water go beyond where the handle meets the head of your brush (basically, don't let the handle get wet). Focus on the actual bristles only as going beyond that point can loosen the glue over time which causes brushes to shed, not what we want!

2. Squirt shampoo or other cleaning product into your wash dish at the side/just above your sink, and gently swirl your brush tip in the soapy substance. If you need to, you can also swirl the brush in the palm of your hand to work up a lather - I find this works best!

3. Rinse the brush tip under running water once again. Repeat steps one and two until the water runs clear from the brush.


4. Use a cloth to wipe your brush clean, reshaping the bristles as you go.

5. Lay your brushes flat on a cloth to dry.



And thats it! Your makeup brushes will be nice and clean!

One quick point to mention is that it takes a good couple of hours for brushes to dry so would recommend doing it after you've applied your makeup for that day.

I hope you found this interesting and useful and if you have anything to add or recommend please comment and let me know, I love to hear from you!
CS xx

No comments:

Post a Comment